Monday, May 18, 2009

Share Day

By Julie Dietrich

Think "show and tell" without the "show." Share day is an opportunity for the kids to share something that is going on in their lives that they want others to know. It can be as simple as "I'm getting a new puppy!" or as serious as "My parents are getting a divorce." There are rules to keep it moving along (and not become a play-by-play of their weekend). Prayer requests and praises are most welcome - but can also be kept as a separate part of advisory if already scheduled into your time

Depending on time restraints, you can choose "3 shares today" or give everyone a chance to share. If you limit the number of shares, you tend to get more meaningful content. If everyone shares, you tend to get more fluff. It can also be "themed" around things going on in school (bullying, Mexico mission trip, Thanksgiving, SLEW, etc.)

Rules:

  1. Keep it simple - 3 sentences or less. (Gets them to the point and doesn't take away from everyone elses share time).
  2. After they are finished sharing, they ask for "Questions or Comments?" from the group. (Allows for clarification and shows genuine interest - connection! - from the group)
  3. All questions or comments must reflect directly back to the person who shared. (Cannot say "That happened to me once too! Blah, blah, blah - this shifts the focus away from the person who shared. Instead, they can say "I had a similar experience, I know how you feel and Im sorry/happy/excited for you")
  4. There is absolutely no talking/fidgeting/etc during someone's share. (If you want people to pay attention to your share, you must pay attentiont to theirs.)


I have done this with 5th graders and 8th graders alike. Both enjoy it very much. I have had genuine conflict resolution experiences, tearful homelife stories, and really cool "God-moments" with my 8th grade girls advisory. My 5th graders find it more of show and tell time, but they are learning how to respectfully communicate with their peers. I will continue this activity once a week for any grade level advisory I teach.

Materials: none

0 comments :